Placencia sits at the very tip of the narrow Peninsula in southern Belize. As a result, it feels more like an island. It’s just a few minutes walk from the lagoon side to the open Caribbean. The entire peninsula can be easily navigated on a beach cruiser bike.
The busy part of Placencia lies in the south where the visitor will find the greater concentration of coffee shops, bistros, internet cafes, the harbor, taxi, banks and local restaurants. Before tourism arrived, Placencia was a quiet fishing village with a narrow meandering sidewalk that served as its main –and only-street.
Today this growing community retains its traditional “barefoot perfect” charm (and sidewalk) while offering first class amenities and activities. It’s an ideal base for amazing diving and snorkeling – including our famous whale sharks, as well as world class fly fishing and trolling.
Things to do in placencia
We can arrange for the following tours:
- Famous – Cockscomb Tour – inland/tubing down the river/trail walk to the waterfall ( on land)
- Monkey River – 45 minute boat ride to the Monkey river ..site seeing bird watching/ trail walk / swim / lunch in monkey river village
- Maya Ruins – (inland) site seeing ranges from 2-1/2 hours drive to 4 -5 hours driving depending on location of ruin
- Cave tubing / waterfalls – ( inland)
- Snorkeling / Scuba diving – inner reefs or outer reefs….private islands
- Private day fishing / snorkeling – Your own private captain on your own time combine a day of fishing and snorkeling lunch BBQ on one of our beautiful islands.
- Fishing / spin casting – trolling
Please feel free to e-mail us if you have any questions.
How to get to Placencia from Belize City
The most convenient way to get to Placencia, is to take a 45 minute local flight from Belize City or the International Airport.
After arriving at the Placencia Airstrip, you can take a taxi into the Village, your driver will assist you in location us. Another way is to rent a car and simply drive down to Placencia. Buses to Placencia from Belize City and Dangriga are also available.
Ranguana Lodge is an agent for Tropic Air (a local airline company), and we can arrange your flights for you.