Covid-19 travel Info
The Government of Belize has reopened the country for tourism on October 1st, 2020. Ranguana Lodge is Open and is now taking Reservations.
Our team at Ranguana has taken all steps required by the government to operate during this time.
Ranguana Lodge continues to monitor the pandemic carefully while making the necessary safety adjustments.
We have been certified by the Belize Tourism Board with their Gold Standard in Health and Safety.
FAQs regarding travelling to Belize
A Nationwide curfew will be in effect from November 28th, 2020 to December 18th, 2020. The curfew hours are from 10pm to 5am.
Masks are required in all public places. Children under 6 are exempt. Masks are required on tours, with some exception. These rules will be explained by your tour guide.
Other restrictions include:
- Restriction of gatherings to 10 people at general public places.
- Restaurants without outdoor dining to have takeout and delivery service only.
- Outdoors restaurants are allowed to operate at 50% capacity by reservation.
- Bars remain closed.
- Gyms remain closed.
- Spa’s are open by appointments only.
*Keep in mind that some of these are the travel restrictions for the initial phase only, and may be different when you travel to Belize. Keep checking this page for the most up to date Belize travel restrictions and important travel updates.
Any traveller is permitted to visit Belize at this time. All travellers must:
- download the Belize Health App and input the required information no more than 72 hours prior to landing in Belize, and
- bring along a negative Real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of arrival in Belize, OR take a Covid-19 test upon arrival if you are unable to bring a negative PCR test.
The Belize Health App is available for download via APK file for Android (version 1.09 or newer) and in the App Store. The App can also be downloaded via https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety. The App can be downloaded at any time prior to your trip to Belize, but your information should be entered no more than 72 hours prior to your arrival in Belize.
Once complete, you’ll receive a unique travel ID and QR code; it is recommended that you take a screenshot of this to show the Health Officer upon arrival in Belize.
If you don’t have a smart phone, the App can also be downloaded to a tablet.
The Government of Belize (GOB) does not currently have any travel bans in place. We encourage you to visit www.travelbelize.org regularly for updates on Covid-19, as the situation remains fluid.
The country’s primary concern is to assure both travellers and residents that Belize’s tourism product is safer than ever before. A series of new enhanced health and safety protocols have been put in place to protect visitors, Belizeans, and our communities.
- Mandatory use of face masks in public spaces
- Enforcement of social distancing measures in public spaces and capacity restrictions at restaurants (currently 50%), grocery stores, retail stores, etc.
- Introduction of the “Tourism Gold Standard Program” for accommodation and tour operators, and other tourism entities which include gift shops, tourism transportation providers (domestic airlines, car rentals, and taxis), restaurants, and tourism sites.
The Gold Standard program seeks to enhance the tourism industry’s health and safety standards by adapting new behaviours and procedures to ensure both employees and travellers are confident in the cleanliness and safety of Belize’s tourism product. Some of these new measures include:
- Online check-in/out, contactless payment systems, and automated ordering/booking systems
- Hand sanitizing stations
- Enhanced cleaning and increased sanitization of public spaces and high touch surfaces
- Capacity restrictions for all tourism sites to ensure social distancing can be maintained
- Smaller tour groups to provide a more intimate tour experience
Gold Standard entities can be easily identified by looking for the Gold Standard Certificate or Safety seal.
Yes, we recommended that you bring along a Real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT PCR) Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of your flight to Belize. Bringing along your PCR test result will provide for a ‘fast track’ arrival process; depending on the results of your health screening, you may be randomly selected for secondary testing.
If you are unable bring along a PCR test, you will be required to take a Covid test upon arrival; the cost is US$50.00. Only cash is accepted at this time; credit card machines and ATMs are not available in the Health Testing Unit.
No. All arriving passengers who test positive at the international airport will be placed in mandatory quarantine for a minimum of 14 days at the passengers’ expense. It is therefore recommended that you explore the possibility of acquiring travel insurance prior to your trip to Belize.
Yes. Currently children aged 5 years and older are being tested in Belize. As the situation remains fluid, protocols are subject to change. Any passenger who tests positive upon arrival will be placed in mandatory quarantine for a minimum of 14 days at the travellers expense.